Five Inexpensive Updates to Make to Your Home!28 Jul 2017, by Home Decor, Make Me Want To Shop Monday, Tips From The Designers Tuesday in
If we lived in a perfect world we’d update our home any time, on any whim, to match any mood, and do it all with a limitless budget. Unfortunately, that’s not reality for most of us (more power to you if it is, though!). Just because you’re not living the lifestyles of the rich and famous, it doesn’t mean your home can’t look and feel like a million bucks!
Here are five tips, straight from the design experts here at Agricola Redesign, for making inexpensive updates to your home:
1. Freshen up your couch. If you spend a lot of time in your family room, then you’ll want to take a nice, long look at your couch and accompanying chairs. Are they flat from years of use or do they look like they just need a quick update? If they just look like they need a little freshening up, then head to your favorite home decor store and look for some new coordinating pillows. You’ll be surprised at just how much changing out your throw pillows can give your couch, and room, a whole new look.
2. Light it up. One of our favorite parts of decorating a home is the lighting. You’ve probably had that experience in the hair salon with awful lighting (we all have!), but don’t let that happen in your home! Lighting can be easily updated or added to, and layered lighting creates a super cozy look and feel. The first thing to look at when it comes to your lighting, is your lamp shades. Check to see if they’re pleated or yellowed. If so, you can easily swap out shades or add some paint to an existing shade. If you want a DIY project, take one of your darker lamp shades and spray paint it with a cream color. You’ll really like the difference it makes in your home.
3. Cabinet facelift. Sometimes your cabinets need more than just new hardware to achieve a new look. In these instances, consider painting them too. This can be a bit of an undertaking, but we promise you that it’s worth it! First step is to make sure you have all the tools you need including sand paper, primer, and the color you want to paint them, as well as any new hardware you may be adding to them. If this project is done right, it can actually make your cabinets look brand new and add value to your home.
4. Paint the floor. Did you know you can paint your old vinyl floors? It’s not something many know, but it’s an easier way to update a bathroom or laundry room without ripping out the entire floor and starting from scratch. Plus, you’ll make yourself SO much happier by being able to finally change out the floor in a room you’ve been dying to update without emptying your bank account.
5. Frame the TV. Nearly everyone these days has their television mounted above the fireplace. While it’s a common look, you can make it truly unique and elevate the look by building a frame around the TV. By doing this, you can enhance a sometimes bare-looking wall when you add in distressed and recycled wood or painted wood that will nicely complement your walls or mantel.
Don’t forget to come and visit us at A Village Gift Shop in Glendale for some new home decor or to set up a consultation in your home with us! You can also find more information on how we can help you fall in love with your home again at www.agricolaredesign.com.