Tips for Putting Away Holiday Decor!13 Jan 2017, by Home Decor in
As much as we love decorating for the holidays, there comes a time when we have to take all those decorations down. Whether you took down your trimmings the day after the holiday or are still debating as to when you’ll be ready (or have the time!) to take them down, check out these tips for taking down and storing your décor:
Tips for Putting Away Holiday Decor
1. The first thing you’ll want to do is gather the supplies to help you put away everything. If you’re like us, then there will be no shortage of supplies (yes, we have a slight obsession with holiday decor!) so we fully accept the responsibility of getting it put away! The supplies you will need include bubble wrap, a label maker, and clear storage bins. Of course the bubble wrap will help you keep everything safe while the label maker will allow you to organize it all and the clear storage bin will help you to see all of it when it’s put away!
2. Start with the room that has the most decorations. For most families, this is the family room/living room. You spend most of your time there as a family, so it’s probably where you decided to put most of your decor, including the tree. Make sure to box up all the items in that room and label it family room. While this may seem tedious now, you’ll thank yourself later when it comes time to take it all out and you can set each box in the appropriate room. You may also want to consider taking a photo of the room while it’s decorated for the next year so you don’t have to rely on your memory to remind you what it looked like!
3. Go to the next room, and the next, and complete these same steps as you did for the family room. Packing up your decorations room-by-room will help you get them up a lot easier next year. Plus, when you can bring the bins out and decorate each room at a time, you won’t have such a mess to clean up later and you’ll keep the house looking tidy and well-organized while you’re decorating!
4. Another big thing you can do while taking down your holiday decor is to ask yourself if you really love that item. Yes, you may have been putting up that glass snowman for the past decade, but does it really mean anything to you? If you find that you just aren’t loving some of your decor the way you once did (or it’s not looking as “festive” as it used to), start a donation bag and fill it up as you go through each room.
5. Stop by A Village Gift Shop to pick up the holiday items we have on sale to replace the items you donated! You’ll be doing a good deed in donating the items you no longer use or like, and supporting a local business by purchasing new!
A Village Gift Shop is located at 3 Village Square in Glendale. Visit www.avillagegift.com or call 513-771-3927 for more information!