Memorial Day: The First Big Weekend of the Summer!26 May 2017, by Fun Fridays in
As soon as the calendar hits Memorial Day, it feels like we can officially put the rainy, dreary days of spring behind us! While it will still rain of course, there’s just a very different feeling during a spring rain and a summer thunderstorm.
And finally, summer is almost here! With Memorial Day just around the corner I have been thinking of summer parades, fireworks, and picnics.
It’s always fun to decorate for the weekend honoring our country and using red, white, and blue in every possible way. To help make the weekend even more fun, check out some of these decorating and dining ideas to make your celebration the best on the block!
1. Show your stripes! Line your walkway with small American flags! There’s no prettier sight than blooming flowers, a fresh cut, green lawn, and the waving of our nation’s flag in the wind!
2. Let your food double as decor! Let your food do the (decor) talking. Use the red from strawberries and tomatoes, white from dips and breads, and blue from blueberries or m&ms to create edible masterpieces that will almost look too good to eat!
3. Bring out the spirit wear! Don’t be the one who isn’t wearing your American spirit on your clothes! Consider a red shirt, white skirt, and the cutest pair of must-have blue sandals!
And to make your Memorial Day weekend extra sweet, check out this fun dessert recipe called Wave Your Flag Cheesecake!
- 1 qt. strawberries, divided
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 packages of Jell-O strawberry flavor
- Ice cubes
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 10.75 once pound cake cut into 10 slices
- 11/3 cups blueberries divided
- 2 8oz packages Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8oz container of cool whip topping
Slice 1 cup of the strawberries; set aside. Halve the remaining 3 cups strawberries; set aside. Stir boiling water into dry gelatin mixes in large bowl at least 2 min. until completely dissolved. Add enough ice to cold water to measure 2 cups. Add to gelatin; stir until ice is completely melted. Refrigerate 5 min. or until gelatin is slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg whites). Meanwhile, line bottom of 13×9-inch dish with cake slices. Add sliced strawberries and1cup of the blueberries to thickened gelatin; stir gently. Spoon over cake slices. Refrigerate 4 hours or until set. Beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with wire whisk or electric mixer until well blended; gently stir in whipped topping. Spread over gelatin. Arrange strawberry halves on cream cheese mixture to resemble the stripes of a flag. Arrange remaining 1/3 cup blueberries on cream cheese mixture for the stars. Store any leftover dessert in refrigerator.
Need to find decor, accessories, and apparel to make your Memorial Day extra American? Stop by A Village Gift Shop at 3 Village Square in Glendale to see our selections of clothing, decor, dips, and more! Learn more at www.agricolaredesign.com, www.avillagegift.com, or call us at 513-771-3927.